Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Decor

As I have said before, I get a lot of inspiration through pinterest - some stuff is realistic, some stuff, is not. But one of the things I really liked was a decoration for spring for the front door. In the pin it was a watering can with fresh flowers. I decided to do my rendition of it with fake flowers so I could put it out every year for spring - the flowers will last a whole lot longer. So here is the final product:


And here are the steps I took:

Went to Michael's Craft Store and bought all these goodies including: watering can, hot glue gun, glue sticks, flowers of my choosing, wire cutters, needle nose pliers (I had a pair, but I wanted a pair for crafty stuff), a foam ball, and some florist pins.


First Step: Cut the foam ball in half so it would sit flat.



Step 2: (I decided the half of the foam ball was too short for some of my flowers so I added a ribbon roll underneath of the foam piece) Glue the ribbon roll to the bottom of the watering can let sit for a minute or so, then glue to foam piece to the ribbon roll. Let sit for another minute or so...just to give the glue some time to cool and stick.

Step three: Cut flowers (with wire cutters if made with wire) off their stems.


Step four: Push flowers into green foam far enough so they don't fall over. If you need added length, use your hot glue gun and glue florist pins to the flowers (I had to do this with the tulips). I also suggest starting with the flowers with the biggest stems, like tulips. I didn't do this and it made it harder to put the tulips in, but I did manage it. Arrange flowers however you like.


It's that easy!



Now this project does take time and adjustments. But be patient and you'll love it in the end. You can manipulate the flowers however you like (usually there's wire in them). I only burnt myself twice! haha every tulip I used, I had to glue a pin to, but it was worth it - I love it and can't wait to get it up on our door! The arrangement should hang crooked off of your door...not sideways, just off kiltered. But I love this for a spring decoration!
 I just have to figure out how to hang it on my front door. I think I'm going to have my hubby drill a hole above the handle and put a ribbon through it to hang it by that...it SHOULD hand a little crooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment